Monday, October 22, 2012

My California Muzzleloader Hunt for Mule Deer

The countdown has begun. My M-8 Bass Hill Muzzleloader hunt starts this Saturday and I cannot wait.

Weather has moved in and snow is starting in the high country this week, which should start driving the bucks down to the lower elevations.  A layer of snow would be nice.

I hunted this area two years ago and had a great hunt. I never had shot a muzzleloader before. I won a TC Triumph 50 caliber at a SCI fundraiser back in 2010 and never had a chance to try it out. Talk to an expert at Sportsmans's Warehouse, he got me the right powder and sabots, instructed me on how to clean and sight it in. Went to the range out in Ione, and shot at 50 yds, 100 yds and 150 yds. Guess what, with open sights and no scope, the bead on the barrel covers up almost the total target, tougher than I thought.

Needless to say, I hit the 8-inch pie plate target consistently and headed out to my hunt. My son, Dan, was my guide and was able to get access thru private land-to-land locked BLM land.

Opening morning found us on the road and we immediately glassed a big 4x4 buck bedded down about 500yds up on the burn. We put on a stalk and got to about 150 yds when he made us.  I used sticks, aimed and fired. He bounded off, a clean miss?  We climbed the hill to glass the bowl and up the burn on the other side.

We soon spotted  another buck headed up the burn chasing does, rut started. We worked down the mountain as fast as I could keep up with Dan, got with in 150yds, aimed again and fired, missed again?   Now I was getting frustrated on where I was shooting.

Needless to say this went on for two days and two weekends, seeing 13 bucks and never the same one twice.  Big bucks were everywhere  and the rut was on. 

On the last day of the season, we drove down a fire road, Dan spotted a buck up on the hill about 150yds again. I decided its time to just aim at the buck and not try to adjust for drop as before. I put the bead on his vitals and fired. He flinched and started to roll down the hill.  Buck down.  We climbed the mountain, took pics and dragged him down to the truck.

This was a great hunt with my son Dan.  Two years later, I drew again, not sure how I did with no pts, and Dan drew the tag also. I borrowed a Knight Shadow since Dan is shooting the Triumph. I have been shooting it often to get real comfortable, and I think I understand the aim point with open sights.

We have some great mule deer, antelope, and elk tags in this state, you just have to put in and you never know what tags you will draw, get in the game and go hunting.

Will let you know how we do next week so stay tuned on Ryan's Roost!  Check me out on facebook also to follow my hunts this year.  This is my Colorado deer and looking to break my record.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Ryan - I got lucky and drew the M8 tag this year. Unfortunately, I dont have the money to pay to get on the private land. Would you be able to help me out with some tips on where to go? I have spent some time scouting our there and it looks like most of the public land is up hihg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stumbled onto your blog. We are heading to Bass Hill next month for archery and have never been. Do you have any info you can share?
    Thanks
    Cory

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou for this wondrous post, I am glad I observed this website on yahoo. Backcountry hunting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for a wonderful share. Your article has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant .i love it reading. Best backpacking stove

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its really great information that you provided here, thanks

    ReplyDelete