Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Take Risks Mentally and Physically but do not be Stupid!

Take Risks Mentally and Physically but do not be Stupid!

What the H… does that mean Cal?  Let me share an experience I had this week.

As you go thru life, you take risks that teach you lessons and hopefully you learn from them and not repeat them consistently. But, as you grow older and wiser(?), you sometimes think you are invincible and get a little risky and push the risk to danger.

I walk every morning on a 2-3 mile jaunt thru the woods where we live in the foothills.  The trails are good and maintained but we do have coyotes and sometimes mountain lions show in the area so you have to be alert.  I usually carry a mace spray just to be on the safe side.  Most of the time those predator critters want to stay away from humans and run away.

There are other predators out there I forgot about. I was walking down the trail to an historic homestead that the building have been consistently vandalized of historic items.  As I approached the site, I came around the corner and there was this small car hidden behind the curve with a guy kneeling down looking like he was changing his license plate. I kind of startled him and  he stood up quickly.  Stupid 1:  I stopped and asked him what he was doing (confrontation, not smart). He said just hanging. I noticed another guy in the passenger side, both looked tired and little grungy.  A pit bull pup came to sniff me.

Stupid 2:  I told them they were trespassing and were on private property, they said ok and would leave.  They continued to ask me about the old buildings?

Stupid 3:  I kept talking instead of walking away quickly.  I then put my headphones in my ears and headed up the trail looking back periodically.

I got home and did not call the police. Later that morning, I drove by the property and saw two more cars in the area. I went home, called the Sheriff to report the suspicious activity.  The sheriff came to our house and I explained what I experienced and saw.

He said the two guys matched the description of two car thieves in a silver Tercel. They had chased them at 3:00am down from Colfax but never caught them and were still on the run. OMG!  He said they would check the property out but reminded me that anyone who looks suspicious usually is and could be dangerous and should not be confronted and pressured, just leave quickly and call the police.

Hey, we watch Cold Case and CSI and there are always crimes against innocent people who just were in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Wow,  did I get lucky.

Needless to say I did not sleep well that night just thinking of all the things that could have happened.  I took a stupid risk that could have gone bad, you never know.

Lesson:  I now carry my mace, walkie- talkie and a big hunting knife but I have learned that do not think your invincible out there: Take risks mentally and physically, that’s how you learn and grow and push your limits but DO NOT BE STUPID

Thanks for listening to my experience, let me know if you have one to share. Follow me on facebook and twitter accounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment