Monday, December 3, 2012

How to Choose the Right Muzzleloading Bullet/Powder Combination

How do you choose the right combination of powder and bullet choices for muzzleloading hunting?

My previous blog talked about shooting a muzzleloader for the first time and trying to figure out how to shoot this unfamiliar type of gun.  The real challenge is trying to understand the types of powder, bullets and primers that give you confidence when the time is right to pull the trigger.

The wonder of the internet is probably the most helpful when it comes to getting up to date information on what are the best loads available. Let’s face it, the choices are many and how do you pick the ones that will work best. Like centerfire shooting, the load that works best for your gun depends on several factors, bullet weight, penetration ballistics, and velocity. The manufacturer gives you ranges of bullet choices with low end and high-end powder grain based on what you’re hunting so I started there in my research.

The first resource was to check the Internet on the Knight Shadow 50 caliber gun and what people were saying about it.  There were positives and negatives on this gun. Some said it was heavy to carry, I did not find that the case.  Others said it was hard to clean with a lot of fowling especially with the breach plug.  I did find that the breach plug had to removed with a breach tool that I did not have so I used a socket set out of my garage tools that fit and could easily remove it.  I also read that you had to use a solution of Dawn soap and water after several shots in the field to get it clean.  Wow, that seemed like a lot of hassle especially when the big buck in moving away.

Well, I was concerned, so I went down to the local Sportsman’s Warehouse, and talked to Mike, the expert in Muzzleloading. I explained my concerns from what I learned and he said, “Forget it”.  Get a 240gr Dead Center bullet with Hodgdon Triple 7 30 grain pyrodex powder along with 209 primers.  He said the shot shell 209 primers are a little powerful for a muzzleloader and will cause more fowling so try Remington Black Powder primers for muzzleloaders.

He also said, in the field or at the range, shoot three shots and to clean the barrel, take a patch, put it in your mouth and saliva it up. Run in down the barrel a few times and shoot another three shots.  I did this at the range and viola, no major fowling in between six shots, easy to do. I did not need all the recommended stuff to carry in the field, and they all shot great at 100 yds. Hit the 8-inch circle three inches high and to the right of the bull’s eye.  Now I was cooking! 

Next was to shoot three shots at 150 yds.  Ran a salivated patch down the barrel, took out the breach plug and with a few salivated soaked patches, cleaned the powder residue from the plug and barrel, it worked great.

I shot three shells at 150yds but hit very high and off the 8inch circle. Not good but what I realized was that my sight picture with open sights was high with my view down the barrel. You have to put the target just on top of the round sight bead picture. Did this with three more shots and I hit just above and to the right of the bulls eye, now I felt better.  And I did not have to use the Dawn soap rinse suggested to clean this gun.  Mike said the Dawn wash is for the end of the season when you are really cleaning the gun for hibernation in your gun case.

The next week, I wanted to go shoot more but no one had my Dead Center 240-grain bullets.  Now I was panicking.  I would have to start all over with a new bullet.  I went back to Mike; he suggested using a Powerbelt Copper Hollow Point 245gr with three Triple 7 30gr pellets. He said it should shoot the same but I need to try it.  Well, went back to the range and shot three at 100yds with this formula.  Wow, hit just above the bullseye and a little to the right.  Next tried at 150yds, hit a little higher and to the right also.  What I did find is was the Powerbelts really were easier to seed than the Dead Center every time.  I did my saliva patch after the three shots and there was no difference in accuracy.

I also learned that every major gun store carry’s Powerbelts, Triple 7 powder, and Remington 209 muzzleloader primers.  That is important if you need more supplies out in the hunting area. They are the standard for muzzleloading that I can tell.

Ok, how did I do in the field?  You will have to tune in next week to see my success and hear the hunt story. 

Today’s blog information is my opinion and experience; you may find a better combination and have a different experience.  Talk at ya and be careful out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment